Marc Marquez believes he was “ready” to fight after “an amazing start” in last week’s MotoGP Aragon GP and that he is disappointed in the crashes.
The Honda racer was making his MotoGP comeback following a six-race layoff for recuperation following a fourth major surgery on the right arm he severely shattered in 2020.
After starting 13th, Marquez jumped up to sixth at the first corner before losing the rear at Turn 3 and causing a collision with the driver in front of him, title leader Fabio Quartararo.
Takaaki Nakagami of LCR Honda was struck by Marquez’s motorcycle when it picked up debris in the back and slowed down when he engaged his riding height device leaving Turn 7.
Marquez concedes that he was “lucky” that neither incident resulted in any significant injuries, but he was disappointed by the squandered opportunity it created.
“Of course, the target of Aragon GP was try to do some kilometres and finish the race, but unfortunately I just did one lap after an amazing start,” Marquez said on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Japanese GP.
“I was disappointed especially because I felt ready. On the race pace I was not bad, it was my strongest point and I managed the tyres on that race track, I felt really good when the tyres dropped.
“But anyway, it’s like this and it was unlucky – but at the same time lucky, because in both situations we were lucky nothing happened.”
With his present injury, Marquez has not yet raced on a circuit that requires as much braking, so he anticipates this weekend’s return to Motegi to be even more physically taxing on his recuperating right arm.
“Yeah, of course, Aragon was already really demanding for me, especially because one thing is [riding in] the Misano test – but the intensity in a race weekend is different,” he added.
“And here in Motegi will be the first time that the right arm is given a big stress because there are many braking points, long brake points, hard braking points in right corners.” He said.